Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:24:20 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Benedikt Schmidt" <ry102@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: laptop speaker question

> > Hello,
> > I'm in a strange predicament. My laptop has no sound device,
> > meaning I can not use 'mixer speaker 0:0'. My hands are quite
> > twitchy, meaning I cause FreeBSD to beep when I press
> > backspace to many times or an incorrect combonation of keys.
> > This upsets my classmates to the nTH degree, who are trying to
> > take notes.
> >
> > Is there a way I could mute the speaker? There is no /dev/speaker,
> > and speaker is not in my kernel conf.
> >
> > I would appreciate any input on this,

Is it a Dell laptop by any chance? I have a Dell Inspiron that beeps when
you push more than two keys at the same time - are you sure it's FreeBSD
and not the laptop itself beeping?

I think (althoguh I could be wrong) that you can turn off the bleep in the
BIOS setup screens.

Mark
--
Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd