Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 22:21:24 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        Bryan Seltzer <bryan@chesco.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs for 2.1.5

(from -newbies)
On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 07:40:46AM -0400, Open Systems Networking wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 1998, Bryan Seltzer wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I just started with freebsd last month. Have gotten my freebsd box running
> > on my internal network in my home. Now my problem is trying to get this to
> > dial into my provider. I don't have a docs on 2.1.5. The docs I have don't
> > cover 2.1.5, does anyone have docs for ppp connection with 2.1.5?

> 2.1.5? Thats a pretty old version. My suggestion is you use cvsup
> to upgrade that system to 2.2.6 and then work on getting it configured.
> 2.2.6 is the latest -RELEASE
> If you need some help setting up or using or using cvsup drop me private
> email and ill help you out. But thats what I recommend is using a current
> release and THEN trying to configure it.

That's great for people who have a good Internet connection and the
skills to understand and use these techniques. There is a trememdous
amount to learn before a real novice could do that, starting with basic
unix commands, an editor, what is cvsup, and all that scarey make
business. I hope you're expecting a lot of private email :-)

For many of us, particularly newbies, it might be easier to simply
reinstall by FTP, or cheaper to buy it on CD. And for those of us who are
still trying to work out the difference between ls and less, 2.1.5 might
be indistinguishable from -current for at least a few more weeks. We
don't all have the option of downloading huge amounts, or purchasing CDs
right away, and some of us have disks too small to hold the sources.
Bryan gives no indication of his situation. As someone who has used 2.1.5
as a newbie, I'd say it's better to plug on than have no ppp while
waiting for the CDs to arrive, and way better than windoze if that's the
only alternative. Or he could be a unix expert wondering what to do with
a cheap unlimited Internet account, though I'd wonder how this got into
-newbies in that case. Sure, upgrading is to be strongly
recommended, even pressed, but we can't decide how feasible it is for him
(or others watching on) on the info we have.

Since we're talking about someone who can't even connect yet to start
looking around the web site, it might be worth setting up ppp as the
system is, with the realisation that an upgrade will be needed real soon
and that not much help will be available until then. Maybe it would be
worth downloading a later version of ppp to use for this temporary
learning period, I'm not real sure if that would work or not. But I'm
pretty sure I had ppp working on 2.1.5, so it can't have been too hard. I
used the handbook and/or faq that came with the system to work out what
to do, step by slow step.

I'm redirecting this to freebsd-questions where this discussion is more
appropriate, and where there's plenty of non-newbies to knock my ideas on
the head if they are technically incorrect or unwise.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-