Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:36:29 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        Wayne Van Der Merwe <VDMERWW@telkom.co.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help needed in installing Version 2.2.6 (First Timer)

[redirected to questions]

> Hi there all. I am new to FreeBSD, so my question could be stupid,
> annoying to some, so I ask to please bear with me.

Naw... Welcome aboard!

> The reason that I would like to install FreeBSD is to learn more about
> Unix as I do not have a spare Unix box to fiddle on, so FreeBSD will
> have to do.

FreeBSD will not just do... It's really among the best! Seriously ;-)

> I do not have the money at the moment to get the FreeBSD 2.2.6 CDROM
> from Walnut Creek & the Dollar to Rand (South African) ratio is out of
> my packet.
>
> I FTP'ed, from ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub , the 2.2.6-release documents ie
> bin, dict, des, doc, games, info, manpages, proflibs, src, tools,
> floppies and all the .TXT files, as this seems to be the initial info
> needed to install FreeBSD.
>
> Let me start
>
> 1) The PC that I want to install FreeBSD on is a Compaq Presario 460,
> 486 processor, 4 Meg Ram, Stiffy Drive 1.44 Meg, ISA Expansion Bus, 270
> Meg Hard drive, VGA Monitor, One LPT port and one Com port. It has Dos
> ver 6.20 and windows 3.1

That's very tight.  Although you can load FreeBSD in only 5 meg, it won't make
for a very comfortable learning experience and isn't practically useful as a
general purpose *nix workstation.  8 meg will do if you aren't running X.  Is
there any way you can scrounge up to at least 16M?

270M is pretty tight too, although you should be able to get X+development
loaded (I think).   The tragedy is, you won't be able to rebuild the system to
track the -STABLE branch.  This would be a wonderful learning experience for
you as there is some *really* good work in there to observe.  The core team
has done a very good job of release engineering.  Worthy of emulating.

> 2) I have read all the documents. [...]

That's pretty impressive ;-)

> 3) I tried the Installing from Floppy method with no success. All that
> happened is, the  PC boots of the floppy, unloads the kernel them tells
> me is I want to skip the Kernel config, edit it for a personal one or go
> to CLI prompt. I used the one for personalise config of the Kernel. I
> disable all the device drivers that do not correspond to my PC and saved
> the settings. It the reboots and still goes back to the beginning, where
> I have to start all over again, I used the one for personalise config of
> the Kernel. I disable all the device drivers that do not correspond to
> my PC and saved the settings ect.

Mmmm... dunno.  Sounds like possible memory problems?  An NMI (generated by a
parity check) will cause this.

> 4) I gave up on that and preceded to Installing from a DOS partition. I
> must say that my PC has no partition on my C drive. I lapped-link all
> the files in BIN to c:\FreeBSD\bin onto my PC. I used a setup program
> that I got under the tools directory. It gives me an critical error:
> DOS027 sector not found drive c.

This is bad. Replace the disk (sorry).   You wouldn't have enough room taking
that approach anyway.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com