Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:23:18 +0100
From:      Lee Smallbone <lee@kechara.net>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Connection attempts

Hello Jim,

Monday, 23 April 2001, you wrote:

JD> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Michael S Scheidell wrote:

>> In local.freebsd.security, you wrote:
>> >
>> >Script kiddies..just ignore it and get used to it.
>>
>> I don't suggest ignoring the 'kiddies' that walk down the street trying to
>> see if my windows are open either.
>>
>> 80% of these systems have bveen compromized, and the owner doesn't even
>> know it.
>>
>> Wouldn't you like to take these systems off the net?
>> You want one of them to run against your system (if you miss a security
>> bulitin?)
>>
>> its easy enough to log and alert the isp.
>>

JD> I don't know what you folks' experience has been, but I've had
JD> almost no luck with alerting ISPs to these problems. A lot of
JD> this stuff comes from Korea and Chekoslovokia and I get no

 You should see my intrusion database... 93% from Korea, Taiwan and
 the likes. The rest from interesting places such as Hungaria. There
 is never any response from ISPs. Solution a) grin and bare it (is
 that really a solution though?). Solution b) actively firewall
 connections from these places (blanket bans are never a great idea
 though.)

 Solution c) anyone?

 This could make for an interesting debate.

Best regards,
 Lee Smallbone
 lee@kechara.net