Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 23:38:03 +0530
From:      Shantanu Mahajan <freebsd@dhumketu.cjb.net>
To:        Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd -- possible problem

+++ Malcolm Kay [freebsd] [14-05-03 22:39 +0930]:
| I'm not sure whether I have a problem burning CD-Rs -- certainly
| I don't understand what I observe.
|
| The OS is FreeBSD 4.7-release.
|
| I take a commercial CD-ROM and copy it as an image with:
| # cp /dev/acd1c natins.cd
| which creates the file natins.cd of around 673400*1024 bytes
| without any apparent problem. (I can't remember the exact size
| but was certainly a multiple of 1024).
|
| # md5 natins.cd
| and
| # cat /dev/acd1c | md5
| produce identical results.
|
| Now inserting a blank CD-R:
| # burncd -f /dev/acd1c data natins.cd fixate
| runs apparently normally and without error.
|
| But now
| # cat /dev/acd1c | md5
| produces and IO error and a different checksum
|
| # cp /dev/acd1c natins.back
| produces the same IO error and a file 8*1024 bytes
| shorter than natins.cd.
|
| If I strip off the last 8k from natins.cd and compare the
| result with natins.back I find they are the same.
|
| When I look at the last 8*1024 bytes stripped from natins.cd I
| find these are all zero (ie NUL).
|
| Re-running burncd on a new CD-R blank repeats the result
| exactly; i.e. IO error 8k short of the size of the original but the
| rest matching.
|
| As a mounted cd9660 file system the copy appears normal and
| the visible files test identical to those on the original.
|
| Questions:
| Is what I'm observing normal when writing with burncd?
| Do I have a hardware problem?
| Is this due to some bug in burncd?
|
| Should I worry about this or just ignore?
|
| Malcolm Kay
|
| ------------------------------

	*suggestion* (works perfectly for me)
	instead of
	# cp /dev/acd1c natins.cd
	try
	# dd if=/dev/acd1c of=natins.cd bs=2048

	and then
	# burncd -f /dev/acd1c data natins.cd fixate

	Also try mounting natins.cd with help of vnconfig

	Regards,
	Shantanu

--
Madness has no purpose.  Or reason.