Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:05:09 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blade 100 w/ 5.4-PRERELEASE console

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:33:50PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:

>>>Applying a patch that is running work around is a nit which can be easily
>>>worked around.  NOT being able to boot to apply a patch isn't.
>>>

>>I don't get what you try to say with the first sentence but the
>>work-around to be able to boot was to set both input-device and
>>output-device to ttya. I suggested you to do just this three
>>times.
>

> You suggested it on Friday.  Why do you think I just stumbled upon it on
> Friday?  It took up considerable amount of my FreeBSD before I figured
> out the bad commit.  Its lovely that a commit that breaks things is so
> fought for to remain in the tree.
>
> AND if you've been using sparc hardware for the past 15 years, this is
> totally non-intuiative.
>
> So now I'm taking your position -- I'm telling you a work around for what
> you feel is a big problem -- apply Kris' patch.

David

1) The work that is ongoing is with the console drivers will eventually
allow more comprehensive console support, something that sparc64 is
lacking.  I'm personally quite happy that several people are stepping
forward and giving sparc64 the care and feeding that it has lacked
almost since its inception.

2) The breakage to Blade1x0 is quite unfortunate, but an actual fix was
provided in a very reasonable amount of time.  While it was definitely
frustrating for you since you bore the brunt of isolating the
problem, your effort and troubleshooting helped idenitfy the problem
so that everyone else could benefit from the fix.  At the macro scale,
your time was not wasted, though I'm sure that at the micro scale it was
quite painful to not be able to do the work that you actually wanted to
do.  Your teamwork here is noted and definitely appreciated.

We've all suffered from breakage at the hands of others due to oversight
or poor design, but working through it is what makes FreeBSD better.
Thank you for your perserverance with the ATA and console problems.

Scott