Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:55:10 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user process faulting on kernel address

On 2001-Mar-16 17:21:54 -0500, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
>Note that it is an instruction fault (a2 == -1) and the faulting
>address maps to the bottom of witness_exit:
>
>(kgdb) l *0xfffffc0000418be0
>0xfffffc0000418be0 is in witness_exit (../../kern/kern_mutex.c:1262).
>The $ra looks reasonable, it is at least a userspace stack address.
>
>I think somebody saw this a while ago, but I cannot find their
>message..

I've got very similar symptoms from ppp.  Try looking for a thread
'ppp core-dumping in kernel space?'  I first noticed it on 19 Feb
<20010219074428.E70642@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au> and posted a followup on
11 Mar <20010311133939.A26976@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>.

My guess is that there is a window between when the user registers are
restored and the actual return to usermode during which t12 (at least)
can get clobbered.  I've occasionally seen odd behaviour in other
processes which seems consistent with this behaviour.

I haven't looked into it further (I'm not really sure where to start
looking).

Peter