Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:00:27 +1300
From:      "Brent Jones" <brent.jones@otago.ac.nz>
To:        "cpghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>, "s.g." <grigorian@theconcept.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: GELI encryption and HDD critical temperature

It was explained by another poster, I don't remember when or by whom,
that GBDE writes sectors to disk in a pseudorandom fashion to make
cryptanalysis more difficult.  This would explain the seeking/noise on a
GBDE disk.

A question I have which is related to all of this:  Does GELI write
sectors in this pseudorandom fashion as well?  And, if so is there a way
to turn this off so that things are written contiguously?  This could be
useful for those wishing to encrypt things for most "normal" threats,
such as your teenage neighbour breaking into your house and stealing
your bitchin computer, while minimising the performance hit of
pseudorandom sector writes.

Cheers,
Brent