Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:13:30 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jail(8) Honeypots

In message <4.3.2.20000625122615.00afbf00@207.227.119.2>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin"
writes:
>At 08:56 AM 6/25/00 -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>> > The thing is a booby-trap. It is somewhat similar to running a simulated
>> > "buggy" application with the sole puropse of catching the would-be
>> > attackers.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure if and how much it pays in the long run.
>>
>>I don't think it would hold up in court, as it would be entrapment.  So
>>what would the sense be in setting up a booby-trap?
>
>How so?  Only if you are with a law enforcement agency would it be
>entrapment.  At least in the US, but then there is a term similar to
>"enticement" (forget the legalese version), which may apply.  Doubtful, but
>entirely possible that by attracting bears with a honeypot, which is
>surrounded by a fence, which the bear climbs, falls, and then has recourse
>to turn around and sue you for tempting it.  Regardless, I'm fairly certain
>that the authorities would be interested.

If you put a gold-bar on the sidewalk which activated a burglar alarm
if touched, that would be illegal.

If you put it inside your locked house it would be 100% legal, even
if it could be seen through the window.

Setting up a honey-pot host is legal, as long as you don't try to
invite people to break into it.  Ie: don't call it
	nah-nah-you-can-t-hack-me.foo.com
and don't tell anybody about it.

Jails(8) are probably the currently safest way to do it, but not
the most "authentic" looking way.  Finding out that you're in a
jail is trivial and I pressume that it will become common knowledge
for script-kiddies RSN.

In other words: a high-fidelity honey pot should probably be a
machine of its own behind a rather facist firewall, but as a
tripwire/indication a jail(8) based honeypot will do just fine.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe