Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 06:43:23 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.mckusick.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUS MAX success!!!

Amancio Hasty:
 |>From The Desk Of Ben Cottrell :
 |> Some of you may remember my repeated posts because my GUS MAX wasn't able
 |> to record in 16 bits. I have it working now, but I was *only* able to get
 |> it to work using the standard FreeBSD drivers--guspnp14 failed miserably.
 |> I therefore think it would be rather ill-advised to replace the drivers
 |> with the guspnp set, as I know some people have been suggesting :>
 |
 |First off, I haven't run the old stuff on the standard sound driver
 |distribution in a long time and there are plenty of people running
 |with the guspnp drivers.

The point's well taken though.  The pnp drivers are still not in good
enough shape to check-in.  I boot a kernel with them as needed to help you
and Luigi buzz out the latest driver update, working toward making them the
standard someday, but I still run the checked-in drivers since they work.

For the SB part, it was getting pretty darn close there around pnp11, and
then I guess you reworked the DMA code (removing auto-DMA or something) and
they haven't been that close again yet.  Since it was the result of a
change you made, you can probably pick out the problem faster than anybody.

Randall