Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:39:37 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Daichi GOTO <daichi@bsd-consulting.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Infiniband device information

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Daichi GOTO <daichi@bsd-consulting.jp> wrote:
> Hi infiniband guys, thanks for IB ml :-)
>
>   InfiniBand devices are becoming more and more important
> in Japanese HPC business environments (In Japan, word "BigData"
> is used instead of HPC in these days, a business buzz word).
>
>   To promoto FreeBSD as the best product to use in BigData
> businesses, we need InfiniBand devices lists, devices working
> well on FreeBSD.
>
>       http://wiki.freebsd.org/InfiniBand

That should have been updated. I'll go and polish it up a bit later on
today with more build instructions; the instructions only mention how
to build some of the userland pieces -- not the kernel pieces, and the
wiki page could be reformatted so the instructions are a bit more
straightforward.

>   Should we do add "IB devices working list" on FreeBSD IB
> wiki page?
>
>   Some ISPs are trying to use IBs on their servers and they
> are going to choose CentOS because of the lack of FreeBSD IB
> support. Not good situation for FreeBSD. Needs improvement
> I guess.

A little birdy told me that you should shoot for ConnectX-2/-3 as your
primary models to test. YMMV if you use other vendors/models (even
though our version of the OFED stack supports more). mthca for
instance is ancient, it has been validated internally, but there's a
delta between what we have at Isilon and what's available to the
community for various product-specific reasons.

Thanks,
-Garrett