Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 10:48:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        limanond@enws626.eas.asu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What cause automatic reboot?

On Fri,  1 May 1998 at  9:23:39 -0700, Suttipan Limanond wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a way to check what is the cause of automatic rebooting?
> This morning when I came to work on the computer, the screen was frozen
> with reboot message. Part of the message said that / is not properly
> dismounted. My guess is that somethings bad must have happened last
> night. I just do not know what it is. The same thing happened the night
> before (but the symptom was different: the blank screensaver was frozen
> after leaving the PC on overnight).
> I used to be able to leave the PC on without any problem at all.

It could be a hardware problem, or it could be something started by
cron.  The first thing would be to look at /var/log/messages and see
when the last message was written.  If it's consistent, you could look
for a cron job started some time after that.  If you don't have many
console messages, you could try the -m option to syslogd, which will
issue "mark messages" at regular intervals.

Apart from that, it's a difficult problem.  It's a "can't happen"
situation which we can't adequately analyse.

Greg