Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:44:36 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ezjail Handbook section

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 05:30:12 PM Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, Warren Block wrote:

> >> It's not clear to me if you need lo1?  If you are using aliases on an
> >> external
> >> interface as you would with a traditional jail then I think you don't
> >> need
> >> the
> >> lo1 interface?
> >
> > It's there to keep jails from being involved with lo0 on the host.  But I
> > admit the explanation is fuzzy, and will seek clarification.
>
> Updated.  It now says:
>
>    To keep jail loopback traffic off the host's loopback network
>    interface lo0, a second loopback interface is created by adding
>    an entry to /etc/rc.conf:...

I guess my question was more "why?"  This isn't ezjail-specific, and neither
of the other two jail tutorials in this chapter mention lo1.  If having lo1 is
important, then we should explain why and probably do so in the first jail
example and then apply it consistently in all the jail examples.  They "why"
should detail if this is an optional "nice to have" or if this is "critical to
security and apps can break out of jails otherwise".  My assumption is the
former, but seeing it documented as a mandatory step in the ezjail config
implies the latter to me.

--
John Baldwin