Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:00:16 +0100
From:      "Kristof Provost" <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Carsten =?utf-8?q?B=C3=A4cker?=" <carbaecker@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with checksum offloading on RPi3 (PF + Jails involved)

On 29 Oct 2020, at 14:29, Carsten Bäcker wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
>
> just stumbled upon a problem on my RPi3, but i am not sure if this is
> arm-related.
>
> Running System:
> "FreeBSD generic 12.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p9 r365508
> GENERIC  arm64"
>
> I created a jail and set up NAT using PF. Same configuration runs
> perfectly on my server.
> However the jail was unable to resolve hostnames.
>
> After enabling pflog for the NAT-rules i noticed these errors:
> "[bad udp cksum 0xe58a -> 0x482d!]"
>
> So i disabled checksum offloading and everything worked fine.
> "ifconfig ue0 -rxcsum"
>
> Any chance to get this fixed?

First someone’s going to have to be able to reproduce it.

I fixed issues related to checksums in pf years ago, and while I’ve
heard vague reports that it still wasn’t fixed in all cases I’ve not
yet been able to reproduce (or even have someone else reproduce) those
issues.

My initial suspicion would fall to the network driver rather than pf
itself.
Let’s start by figuring out which one that is.

Presumably you’ve got a USB ethernet thing plugged in. Which one?
(`sudo usbconfig dump_device_desc` will help).

Best,
Kristof