Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 19:08:10 +1000
From:      Willem van den Bosch <willem@onthenet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing packages

Hi

Hope some one can help.

I have just installed 3.1-RELEASE by doing an FTP installation from an FTP
server I have running on my Windows98 machine.

Although the actual installation went without a hitch I am unable to
install any packages. I get a message saying

"Unable to fetch package <package_name> from selected media.
No package add will be done"

If I get the package to FreeBSD machine and run pkg_add it appears to
install OK, and if I than run /stand/sysinstall it shows as being installed.

I have copied the directory structure eg.

pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/package/*

any help would be greatly appreciated

Willem