Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:35:46 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Qiang Xu <qiang_xu@mail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to expand the file system by adding a hard drive?

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 12:28:03AM -0500, Qiang Xu wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam:
>         My PC running FreeBSD has a 800M hard drive. When I run some program, I was told the file system is full.
>    So I want to add another hard drive. I am a newer in FreeBSD, I think it is the same way like Window and DOS.
>   I run /stnad/sysinstall and fdisk the second HD, then I label it, but where should I mount them. The mount point
>   /, /usr, /var has already been assigned. If I mount in other points will it work?
>             How can I add the second HD correctly, so I can have enough space to run the program?

You can mount it wherever you want. Let's say as an example you decide
that putting /usr/local on the new filesystem would be a good idea and
that the new partition is ad1s1e,

  # newfs /dev/ad1s1e                 # Make new filesystem
  # mount /dev/ad1s1e /mnt            # Temporary mount point
  # cd /usr/local
  # tar cf - . | tar xf - -C /mnt     # Copy over the old /usr/local
  # ls -l /mnt                        # Check if the copy worked
  # umount /mnt
  # rm -rf ./*                        # Clean the old /usr/local
  # mount /dev/ad1s1e /usr/local      # Put in the new

So it is mounted at boot, add,

  /dev/ad1s1e             /usr/local       ufs     rw              0       2

To /etc/fstab. Make sure it is after the /usr entry in fstab.