Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:00:57 +0800
From:      Victor Tsang <victor.tsang@ieee.org>
To:        Dave Stevens <dave@consource.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mac's, FreeBSD, PPPoe and DSL

NAT don't work because the mtu size (a kind of date packet size) for PPPoE
must be 1492 (or someting similar) and ethernet's mtu size is by default
1500. For NATing, nat will request the "client" to change the mtu size from
1500 to 1492 so as to match the PPPoE protocol. However, Mac and windows
deny to change the mtu size and therefore your local LAN clients will suffer
packet loss.

If your LAN machines are all windows boxes, go search my previous messages
that there was a reply telling me how to force windows to change mtu size
and your problem will be solved.

For Mac, I have no idea. For Darwin, I have to make some changes to the
kernel to support "ifconfig en0 mtu 1492". I am working on this, but since I
have little free time to do it, the progress is near zero. :(

What I am using is Windows 2000 + a free PPPoE dialup driver. If the client
deny to tune down the mtu size, win2K nat will break the incoming packet
into 2 and also resemble the incoming packets to mtu=1500 to foo the clients
(so the speed is slower! but slower is better than none.)