Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 00:44:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP hard lock in 2.2.6

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 May 1998, Brian Somers wrote:
> >
> > > It's not a problem I've seen.  It's *very* unlikely that ppp is
> > > wedging the whole machine :-/  but possible I guess....
>
> My (I use it at work, I am not lucky enough to OWN one!) Sun UltraSparc
> has a feature that will arrest control from the OS by doing a Stop-A on
> the keyboard.  Obviously PC keyboards ado not have a stop key, but is
> there anyway to emulate that behaviour without it being managed by the OS
> so that IF the OS fails us (WHEN it fails us...once every decade or so)
> that we can use that sequence?
>
> I have a gut feeling that "stop-a" is somehow embedded in the Sparc
> hardware...but I have to ask.

The closest in the PC world is the CTRL-ALT-ESC sequence that drops
into ddb if you've got `options DDB' in your kernel config.  This
depends on the machine being alive enough to read the keyboard (which
it isn't in this case as CAPS LOCK doesn't toggle the LED).

Now if you talk to the likes of Bruce (bde@FreeBSD.org), he'll tell
you how to open the box and short out lines 0 & 1 on the ISA bus,
causing an NMI that will be caught by DDB (assuming the NMI interrupt
vector hasn't been cr**ped all over) :-[]

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;