Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 16:39:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        wiliweld@ix.netcom.com (Bill Schoolcraft)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "copy to floppy" (help)

> Hello Everyone,
> 	From the subject title this a newbie question. For the life
> of me I can't seem to copy the _ppp.conf_ file I am working on
> to a floppy. First I formatted a MS floppy, _fdformat
> /dev/rfd0_ and also did fdformat /dev/fd0, both got results.
> With those two disks I enterd the /etc/ppp/ file where my
> ppp.conf resides and tried _cp ppp.conf /dev/rfd0_ and also
> tried _cp /etc/ppp/ppp.conf /dev/rfd0_ plus I tried cp
> _ppp.conf /dev/fd0_ etc. Then I ventured into mcopy by
> installing it via /stand/sysinstall with a post install
> upgrade. With mcopy installed I tried _mcopy /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
> a:_ and my purpose of all this is to bring a copy of the file
> I'm working to my Unix users group next week. I am trying to
> create a PAP, ppp.conf file so I can logon tomy ISP Netcom,
> which has dynamic IP for it's customers. TheLinux machine I'm
> sending this from had a GUI for setting it up. I really want
> to stick with FreeBSD 2.2.6 on the dedicated machine I bought
> for BSD. Please, any help would be appreciated.

fdformat won't cut it.  Here is what you need to do:

# fdformat /dev/fd0
# newfs /dev/fd0 floppy
# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
# cd /etc/ppp/ppp.conf /mnt
# umount /mnt

First, you format the floppy.  Then, you need to create a filesystem.
Then mount it, copy the file, and unmount it.  Above does just that.

> --
> Bill Schoolcraft
> PO Box 210076
> San Francisco CA 94121
> http://www.netcom.com/~wiliweld

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

I love the smell of fdisk in the morning
FreeBSD Rules!  Micro$oft Sucks!  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/