Date:      15 Jun 2000 14:19:50 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, apeak_2000@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Security

"James A. Peltier" <james@aspert.com> wrote (using Microsoft Outlook,
which is kind of amusingly ironic as a source of security advice):

> check websites like www.lopht.com www.rootshell.com hack.box.sk there
> are plenty of sites on the net that can help you "think" like a cracker
> to protect your machines.

First thing of all, though, start at:
 http://www.freebsd.org/security/
paying attention primarily to the "FreeBSD Security Tips and Tricks" section.

Also, get up to speed on Unix in general in order to avoid making
mistakes that are presumed to be "obvious" to a system administrator,
such as not running as root when you don't need to.  A good start is:
 http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html