Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:24:14 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.shutdown

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:08:33PM +0200, Martin Schweizer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want to shutdown my dhcpd with /bin/kill 'cat /var/run/dhcpd.pid'. I set
> this in rc.shutdown but nothing occurs. In man pages and READMEs I didn't
> found anything (only an example man rc). What do I wrong?

 From the fm:

   The rc.d directories contain scripts which will be automatically executed
   at boot time and shutdown time.  At boot time, the specified directories
   are processed immediately after rc.local is executed.  (See below for
   details on how to specify directories to check.)  At shutdown time, the
   directories are processed by rc.shutdown.

You don't edit rc.shutdown directly. You write a small script that
gets called automatically by rc.shutdown. Put it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
making sure it's named correctly, and handles the arguments that will
be passed to it. This is all in the man page.

> --
> Regards
>
> Martin Schweizer

mike.