Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:24:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        rakesh@cell-works.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting FreeBSD as Gateway!

In local.freebsd-questions you write:

>I have recompiled the kernel after I added those two lines in my kernel.  I
>followed the directions on mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd on how to compile the
>kernel.  After recompiling the kernel, I put the information on my windows 98
>machine and for gateway I put 192.168.1.1.  I still keep getting the same
>message.  Any other help is appreciated.

If by "the same" message, you mean

>> >"IP packer filtering initialized, divert disabled,  rule-based
>> >forwarding disabled, logging disabled,
>> >ip_fw_ctl: invalid command"

then, considering the following from ip_fw.c:

  #ifdef IPDIVERT
		  "divert enabled, "
  #else
		  "divert disabled, "
  #endif

I'd say you somehow botched it in making and installing your new
kernel :-) I.e. the message "divert disabled" does mean that the
kernel option IPDIVERT was NOT defined.  And it is needed by natd.

All I can suggest is that you calmly, step-by-step go through the
configuration one more time, from scratch, preferrably after a good
night's sleep.  It really is not hard to get FreeBSD up as a NAT
gateway.

	/Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com