Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 14:10:15 -1000
From:      "Arthur W. Neilson III" <art@pilikia.net>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Could someone commit the change suggested in PR bin/32420?

msyslog is pretty cool, it's modular and has a bunch of different input
modules for tcp, udp, streams and unix domain sockets also output
modules for mysql, postgres, peo (hash protection) and regex.  it is worth=
 exploring
and actually is BSD licensed, as shown on the freshmeat homepage
for the msyslog project

http://freshmeat.net/projects/msyslog

as for mysql, it's very fast and we already had it on our mrtg/rrdtool=
 webserver
which snmp monitors a number of machines.  msyslog uses the c api in the
mysql client library for database access.  mysql is fully threaded and=
 handles
the load well.

the COPYING file in the msyslog distribution describes the licensing terms=
 thusly:

        msyslog source code files have either traditional BSD license,
on the cases of files based on previous BSD syslog (syslogd.c,
syslogd.h, ttymsg.c and  om_classic.c), or a more permisive license
known as modified BSD license, or MIT  license, for the rest of the
source files.
        However, this licensing scheme may change in the future, as BSD=
 license
has been changed by the Regent of the University of California. For more
information on this, take a look at http://www.opensource.org/licenses

the BSD license used is the following:

     Copyright (c) 1983, 1988, 1993, 1994
          The Regents of the University of California.  All rights=
 reserved.

     modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
     are met:
     1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
     2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
        documentation and/or other materials provided with the=
 distribution.
     3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this=
 software
        must display the following acknowledgement:
          This product includes software developed by the University of
          California, Berkeley and its contributors.
     4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its=
 contributors
        may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this=
 software
        without specific prior written permission.

     THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''=
 AND
     ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
     IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR=
 PURPOSE
     ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE=
 LIABLE
     FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR=
 CONSEQUENTIAL
     DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE=
 GOODS
     OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
     HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,=
 STRICT
     LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY=
 WAY
     OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
     SUCH DAMAGE.

MIT license used is:

     Copyright (c) 2001, Core SDI S.A., Argentina
     All rights reserved

     modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
     are met:

     1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
        notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
     2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
        documentation and/or other materials provided with the=
 distribution.
     3. Neither name of the Core SDI S.A. nor the names of its contributors
        may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this=
 software
        without specific prior written permission.

     THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
     IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED=
 WARRANTIES
     OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE=
 DISCLAIMED.
     IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
     INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,=
 BUT
     NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF=
 USE,
     DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
     THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
     (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE=
 OF
     THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

It goes on to include the standard

--
    __
   /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.