Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:03:17 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   installworld and stale {include,lib} fun

I tried to get myself a clean /usr/{include,lib} installation after a
successful buildworld earlier.  To make this as clean an installation
as possible, I did the following before running "make installworld":

	# cd /usr
	# mv include include.old
	# mkdir include
	# cd include ; mtree -deU < /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist
	# mv lib lib.old
	# ldconfig -elf /usr/lib.old

Then, after installworld finished alright, I rebooted the single-user
mode session I was running and noticed that a few of the ports I had
installed were broken :)

Apparently editors/vim-lite had picked up an old, obsolete libposix*.so
from one of the past installations and linked against that.  Deleting
the port and reinstalling it worked like a charm, which made me think
a bit...  Should we recommend in UPDATING that source upgrades include
something similar?  Well, maybe not all the time (since ports can
break like vim did for me), but at least under a "making your /usr as
clean as possible" paragraph?