Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:09:25 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        asami@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Port of netperf-2.1pl1 available

I've placed a port of Netperf 2.1pl1 on freefall:/pub/incoming as a
FreeBSD port/package candidate.

(freefall.freebsd.org:/pub/incoming/netperf-2.1pl1.port.tar.gz)

Netperf is a serious networking performance evaluation tool being
distributed under GPL by HP's Information Networks Division.
Testing is done using a pair of programs: `netserver' (the server)
and `netperf' (the measurement tool).

Netperf allows control over a large number of test `variables'.
Some of these are:

	* specification of desired confidence levels for the tests
	  Netperf will warn the user if these levels were not achieved.
	* filling send buffers with specified data (to beat compression schemes)
	* specification of send/recieve buffer alignments and data offsets
	* requesting cpu utilization and service demand calculations
	* specification of sizes of data to send

Netperf can be used for measuring stream performance as well as
round-trip performance.

This port has been configured to allow testing of TCP/UDP and Unix domain
sockets.

For further information on `netperf' please look up:

	http://www.cup.hp.com/netperf/NetperfPage.html

Disclaimer:
	Submitted as my personal effort, no connection with my employer.

Koshy