Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:15:20 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating ports

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 02:53:57AM +0600, Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:
> > yes. I prefer normal ssh, since it's X11 forwarding works for me. as an
> > aside, is anyone successfully using X forwarding with OpenSSH? I asked a
> > couple of weeks ago, and got no responses either here or from the port's
> > maintainer, except for one person who was having the same problem as me.

It works under OpenSSH for me when connecting to either SSH1 or OpenSSH
daemons (I just checked against an SSH 1.2.26 and an OpenSSH 1.2
machine).

> Actually, I've heard of SSH has something to do with X; still, I don't
> know in exactly what fasion?  Why has ssh to do anything with X?

SSH allows you to run X applictions on a remote host such that the
application displays on the local host like normal, but with all session
data being sent over the encrypted channel.

-- Brooks

--
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one"