Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:50:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        "[Mario1-]" <Mario1@PrimeNet.Com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, Tomasz Dudziak <loco@onyks.wszib.poznan.pl>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

As long as httpd and sessiond are owned by something other than what cgi
scripts run as you're safe, but if they are both nobody, you can replace
the binary...We had it happen to us once with v1.2 this is how I know.

Jonathan A. Zdziarski                                NetRail Incorporated
Server Engineering Manager                    230 Peachtree St. Suite 500
jonz@netrail.net                                        Atlanta, GA 30303
http://www.netrail.net                                    (888) - NETRAIL