Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:05:56 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: controller

Hi,

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > In message <200003190349.UAA30500@Ilsa.StevesCafe.com> Steve Passe writes:
> > : Be sure to get the "white box" version that includes the LVD cable, some are
> > : just a bare card.  The cable/terminator is a rather elaborate device, and can
> > : set you back another $50-60 if purchased separately.
> >
> > Hmmm.  The whitebox one I got didn't have cables.  However, I didn't
> > need the cables....
>
> Huh.  Where'd you get the version with the cables, Steve?

I didn't (not yet anyways) but am shopping for a pair of 29160s and noticed by
reading the fine print that there are bare cards, white boxes with cables but
no manuals, and complete "kits" with board, manuals, drivers, etc.  I also
noticed that the types of cables differ slightly between the white box and
the retail kit.  go to pricewatch.com and search on 19260.  they sort hits
in ascending price order, so the bare boards appear first, then the white
boxes, then the complete kits.  Some give enough description to see the diffs
I have mentioned.  (I did this in the context of 29160, so your search on
19160 may differ...)  Also be aware of differences between the various xx160
series of cards as to int/ext connectors:

http://www.adaptec.com/products/guide/ultra160scsi.html

--
Steve Passe	| powered by