Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:18:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Geoffrey Crompton (RMIT Guest)" <ghcrompton@gecko.eric.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   how dies rtallocing with XResolve happen

<<On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:53:54 +1100, "Geoffrey Crompton (RMIT Guest)" <ghcrompton@gecko.eric.net.au> said:

>    What is the goal of the XRESOLVE mechanism. Is it to allow code in the
> kernel to inform a userland daemon that a routing lookup was performed
> and it failed, or is it to allow code in the kernel to have a userland
> daemon resolve a route for it?

Yes.

>   If it is the second, how does the userland daemon get an answer back
> to the kernel, considering that the userland daemon may need to do some
> network communication to get an answer?

Well, obviously, it can't communicate with anything that would need
the route that it's trying to resolve.  That doesn't stop it from
communicating with other (perhaps statically-configured) end systems.

I believe it was actually intended for things like the X.25 code,
where conceivably one might have to look up the X.121 (IIRC) address
for the system you are trying to reach in a text file somewhere, or by
sending a request to some well-known server.  Often that sort of code
is so klugey that you don't want it in the kernel.

-GAWollman