Date:      09 Feb 1998 00:06:56 -0600
From:      Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
To:        Dan Cernese <dhcernese@alum.wpi.edu>
Cc:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2940UW+2920+IDE no worky?

Dan Cernese <dhcernese@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> However, because of the narrow drive, I can't use the external wide
> connector (which is why I want to move it to another controller as
> you'll see later).

You *can* put the narrow drive on the wide bus.  You just need a
non-terminating wide-narrow adapter (Adaptec's web page talks about
these, and has pictures of configurations using them, and you can buy
them at a number of places).  You just have to make sure the narrow
devices is not at the end of the chain since you need a device there
that can terminate both the high and low bytes.

> Added a PCI card, Adaptec 2920, SCSI-II (regular, narrow) a
> short time ago for my HP DAT drive and the scanner I got for
> Christmas.

You could probably put all these devices on the one wide controller if
you get the right cables.  You can use up to 2 of the three connectors
on the card simultaneously.  How many devices you can connect depends
on how fast you're running the card.  The limitations for an ultra,
wide bus (at least according to the specs) is

  2-4 devices ==> (< 3.0M total bus length) (even spacing)
  5-8 devices ==> (< 1.5M total bus length) (even spacing)

According to support at adaptec and my experience, the length
requirement is more important than exact even spacing.

> All works fine _until_ I attempt to move the SCSI-II narrow Quantum
> drive over to the SCSI-II controller.  Everything goes through its
> BIOS installs correctly, the IDE drive is installed first, the SCSI
> cards recognize each drive.. ..then when its supposed to run ntldr
> off C:, it says " Drive Not Ready Error".

Can you hear the Quantum starting up?  It's possible that you have the
drive configured to wait for the Drive Start command before spinning
up, and your new card's not configured to send it.  Also be careful of
termination issues.

You should also be careful that with two SCSI cards and an IDE drive
(which means that your IDE buses are enabled) that you're not running
out of interrupts.  If you also have a sound card, a network card and
a video card, you probably are.  Try disabling your serial ports
temporarily to free up a couple of interrupts and see if that helps.

Good luck...

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>