Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:27:31 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        PILCH Hartmut <phm@suse.de>
Cc:        "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>, Peter Mutsaers <peter@mutsaers.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software Patents

Hartmut Pilch <phm@ffii.org> wrote Thu, 11 Jan 2001:
> To: "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
> Cc: Peter Mutsaers <peter@mutsaers.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Do we have any chance of putting a statement from a BSD organisation on
>         http://petition.eurolinux.org/statements
> and a logo on
>         http://petition.eurolinux.org/sponsors
> ?
> Maybe Julian could draft that statement and have someone sign it in
> the name of the FreeBSD project?

If Someone From <Core@freebsd.org> Invites Me To ...
I will prepare a draft statement for submission & approval by freebsd core,
So I'm cc'ing core@ this request:
 	Please appoint someone to prepare a policy statement:
	"Software Patents - The FreeBSD Perspective"

I'm not seeking the job (got plenty else to do, as we all have :-) ,
but will do it if core want a draft statement to authorise.
(FYI folks: I'm in the curious position of knowing more than I'd
like to about software patents, & having very good relations with
appropriate staff of European Patent Office, despite being unhappy
with the way patents are going.

(Anyone who thinks software patents don't exist is sadly mis-informed
(I was taught that once too), To remove rose tinted glasses,
anyone interested can go read the URLs to sites at FFII LPF etc,
pointed to by my http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/txt/patents.html)

Other @freebsd.org lists that might be interested in discussing
software patents & impact on FreeBSD are (from list from
Majordomo-Owner@FreeBSD.ORG July 2000) :- advocacy@ policy@
but I haven't cross posted/cc'd them (policy@ might be read only BTW).

PS I imagine what is wanted is a short, 1 paragraph polite statement,
(not what my web page is ;-)

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with 4200 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !