Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:23:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic updates (was Re: How long for -stable...)

In message <92172.970683298@winston.osd.bsdi.com> Jordan Hubbard writes:
: > I think that we can do a lot with cvsupd.  I've used cvsupd to grab
: > binaries on an experimental basis and it seems to work great.  I've
:
: Hmmm.  Does cvsupd also move a target out of the way if it already
: exists and it's in the process of replacing it?  What if the target is
: chflag'd but can be unprotected at the current security level?
:
: What I'm trying to say is that if you have "/sbin/init" and cvsupd is
: about to replace it, I would expect the steps to be something like
: this:
:
: Receive new init as /sbin/init.${pid} (or something)
:  |
:  |<--------------------------------------------+
:  | Yes                                         |Yes
:  \/                               No           |                No
:  Mv /sbin/init.${pid} /sbin/init  --> chflags noschg /sbin/init --> Fail
:            |
:            | Yes
:            \/
:            Done
:
: If cvsupd does that or can be gimmicked to do that (add
: --potentially-hose-me flag? ;) then I'd say it's a serious
: contender for being part of a binary update process.

I don't know.  I seem to recall that jdp told me at the talk I gave
last year that it just wipes the flags completely and doesn't honor
them.

I think it deals well with this, but I've not tried to replace init on
a running system.  Given that the Pluto upgrade went well, I'd expect
the answer is yes, it works.

Warner