Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2022 10:45:41 -0600
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Permanent error <0xffffffffffffffff>:<0x0>

On 11/27/22 02:11, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Yesterday, out of the blue, on a 13.1/amd64 machine, something went
> wrong in one of my zpools, as I discovered from daily run mails.

<snip>

>> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>>
>>         <0xffffffffffffffff>:<0x0>
>
> I don't think there's a "file in question" I can restore, as
> "<0xffffffffffffffff>:<0x0>" doesn't seem to identify any.
>
> I searched and found some bugs/discussion, but none lead to a definitive
> answer.
>
>  From logs and SMART, I don't think I had any hadware problem.
>
> How much should I be worried?
> Any hint on how to solve this (apart from obviously recreate the pool
> from scracth, after a backup)?

These error reports will persist, even after the underlying problem is
corrected, until you tell ZFS that they have been corrected using 'zpool
clear'.

I would suggest clearing the errors using zpool clear and then running a
scrub to make sure there are no other errors lurking. If the errors
don't return during a scrub, they were probably either transient or
already corrected by the underlying hardware.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Technical Administrator