Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:58:38 -0700
From:      "Michael K. Smith - Adhost" <mksmith@adhost.com>
To:        "User Bobby" <bobby@susanne.tomatoseed.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4gb address space limitation for i386

Hello:

You may just have one issue or you may have two.  There is a 4 Gig limit
to 32-bit Operating Systems (not just FreeBSD), so you either have to
run a 64Bit system (which you can't) or fake it using PAE.  You may also
be running into the PCI-Hole which requires memory to map PCI devices.
This can suck up anywhere to about 1/2 a Gig of RAM.

PAE is definitely "at your own risk" and everything I've read about the
potential ramifications (including complete loss of data) compel me to
stick with the regular, non-PAE configuration on i386 systems.  But,
someone else may have had better luck and set your mind at ease.

Regards,

Mike