Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:36:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        mi@privatelabs.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring squid

Snipped from freebsd-scsi, this is only appropriate for
freebsd-questions.

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 mi@privatelabs.com wrote:

> Hello! I'm setting up a fairly big squid server with two 45Gb (but slow)
> SCSI SEAGATE ST446452W (external).
>
> I wonder if I should use ccd  to make one 90Gb interleaved array of them
> or  use  them  separately  and  tell Squid  about  the  two  independent
> partitions... Speed is the only  factor -- I understand, that separately
> they'd be easier to manage...

Keep them separate.  Squid load-balances among multiple cache_dirs.
If speed is the biggest factor, you really should be using many
smaller drives with a single cache_dir on each one, instead of two
large drives.

Keep in mind you're also going to need a lot of memory for a full 90GB
cache.  You need at least 10MB RAM per 1GB of cache (this is from my
personal experience with Squid, and does not include OS overhead,
filesystem cache, or anything else), so you'll need at least 1GB in
there.  Since you're also going to be using two large disks instead of
many smaller ones, you'll want plenty of RAM available for the
filesystem cache and to increase Squid's cache_mem significantly above
the default of 8MB to hold the most popular objects without having to
fetch them from disk often.

How many requests per second are you expecting during peak times,
anyway?  What you consider "fairly big" could in fact be humungous, or
it could be just a drop in the bucket.  Knowing this would help
determine wether what you have will be enough, or complete overkill.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )