Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:15:49 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        John Smith <lbalbalba@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Determine FreeBSD version of binary

John Smith wrote:

> I was wondering if it was possible to determine for what version of
> FreeBSD a binary was compiled, purely by examining the binary?

As a suggestion, use the 'ldd' command to see what version of the libc
is linked in with the binary.  You didn['t mention if the binary was
linked shared or not (if it's statically linked, well, you're out of
luck with this particular method).    Depending on how it's linked, you
might even have probnlems using ldd, I think, then you'd have to use the
objdump utility, along with grep, like this:

objdump -x <whateverfile> | grep NEEDED | grep libc

and get the version of libc from there.  It's the version of libc that
you're after with all this song and dance.  I've been gone from FreeBSD
for a longish while (more than about 2 years) so I couldn't give you
exact libc version versus date info, but if you post that to this list,
most likely someone would have that right to hand.