Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:51:44 +0800
From:      richard <richard@sneaker.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

> For a fraction of the cost of yahu (yet another hardware upgrade)
> we purchased better software.  The result?  I'm using Dnews, a
> commercial software package costing less than $500... and my
> hardware appears idle.  I pull in about 2 megabits average on this
> machine, yet the load remains very low, and the filesystem has
> plenty of idle cycles.  This machine has the appearance of doing
> a fraction of the work my old INN workhorse was doing.
>
> Dnews was more than a major performance gain.  In the INN days, being
> a news administrator was a big part of my daily job.  With Dnews I
> check on news when *I* have time.  I never find myself doing the
> kind of work i did under INN.  It took me 30 minutes to bring the
> Dnews machine on-line, and over the course of a year and a half I
> have spent a total of about 4 hours maintaining it.  I hazard to guess
> I would have spent 400 to 1000 hours had I still been running INN,
> and there would have been numerous software upgrades and other events
> resulting in downtime.  We did invest about 20 hours of programming
> time wiring Dnews into our user authentication system, which included
> custom software mods added by the Dnews programmers.  The Dnews
> guys did my mods for free, turning them around in about 2 days!
> The <$500 price tag I paid for the software was way too low for
> what I got.
>
> Dnews is not the only software out there that is better than INN...
> it is just the one I tried.  I have heard similar things about
> several other packages, but I'll let those software users speak
> for themselves.  I have pointed other ISP's at Dnews, and so far
> I have heard nothing but good things from them.
>
> I run my Dnews on a dual pentium pro (180MHZ) system, using the
> Dmulti feature of Dnews to run 4 copies of the executable...
> 1 for incoming news, and three for readers.  The SMP was not
> needed for this application after all, were I rebuilding the
> machine today I would stick to a single CPU.  Dnews handles article
> storage across multiple filesystems using a small number of files
> per drive (article files are grouped together in larger clusters
> called "buckets" keeping the filecount low).
>
> It is just a guess, but I'd venture that a 100mhz pentium with a
> medium speed filesystem would be enough to make a full feed work
> through Dnews.  Raid 10 on super-servers with lots and lots of
> performance tuning....   Seems like too much work and money to me.
>
> Oh and the Dnews guys do mail servers too...  You guys being
> shut-down because spammers are hammering your sendmail... There
> ARE performance options for you out there... Find out about
> Dnews and Dmail from www.netwinsite.com.

I came across a ISP using DNEWS, whenever I access a group, my requests
will be placed into a long queue waiting for a long long fetching the
group ....... I didn't like it and left the ISP.

Surely, as the administrator or owner of  ISP , people love DNEWS, but
as a user, you might have different view over the DNEWS.

regards,