Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:18:32 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        "Neeraj Sharma" <neeraj.dl@gmail.com>
Cc:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg on FreeBSD does not work

> I tried copying my xorg.conf from Ubuntu (which automatically probes
> everything and creates a xorg.conf) and tried to use on FreeBSD. But still
> it hangs... I wonder if its because some drivers are missing in FreeBSD for
> my monitor. My laptop has ATI Radeon 9000IGP in case that rings a bell to
> someone in the same situation as me b4.

Are you sure it's "hanging"?  Have you tried CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to get
out?  Do you have a mouse cursor?

Before you fsck around randomly, check X's log files in /var/log/.  I've
found them to be incredibly verbose, but frequently helpful.

> [...]
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier    "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9100 U3 (R200
> IGP)"
>     Driver        "ati"
>     BusID        "PCI:1:5:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
>     Option        "DPMS"
>     Modeline    "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier    "Default Screen"
>     Device        "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9100 U3 (R200
> IGP)"
>     Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        1
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        4
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        8
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        15
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        16
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth        24
>         Modes        "1280x800"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier    "Default Layout"
>     Screen        "Default Screen"
>     InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
>     InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>     Mode    0666
> EndSection
>

> Thanks for the help!
>
> Neeraj
>

> On 2/15/07, Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com> wrote:

> > my HP
> > ran
> > use that
> > the

> > without

> > > That is alright to show you xorg works or not.
> >
> > Yes, a blank screen and a locked keyboard is a perfect description of
> > an X configuration that isn't working. ;-)
> >

> > > After doing that press ctrl+alt+backspace
> > >
> > > Then #cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf then type startx or
> > > reboot your notebook.
> >
> > Sorry for correcting, but this is not adviseable at this point. His X
> > isn't working obviously, so installing xorg.conf into the right place
> > would lead to more problems, without solving anything.
> > He can do so when the X configuration is working.

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.