Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:47:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

>   I'd like to register strong disagreement with the above.  The change
> itself, is simple.  It is going to affect packages that read/alter
> utmp/wtmp/lastlog.  However, since the packages will be re-built
> everything will be ok, as long as people don't use old packages.  I think
> we should get this change behind us.  It is only get to get worse.

Trust me, no matter how strong your disagreement with the above, there
are plenty of folks who will disagree even more strongly with the idea
of changing it.  They don't want to have to update or convert in-place
all their log data (and some people have utmp/wtmp logs which are
archived for months and used to produce billing data) and for them,
2.2-stable represents the place to be when you don't want to suffer
from mid-stream changes like that.

16 character usernames have been part of 3.0 for some time and is not
even difficult to add to 2.2 on an as-needed basis (sheesh, you alter
two header files and make the world - how hard can that be? ;), so I
don't think it's quite fair to make it sound like BSDI has had the
feature for 2 years and FreeBSD users have just been totally SOL on
the matter.  We make our sources available at no extra charge, eh? :-)

					Jordan