Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNIX locale format string vulnerability (fwd)

>From: Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
>To: "Vladimir Mencl, MK, susSED" <mencl@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>,
>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:01:54 +0100

>Although a valid point, I'm amazed that on 99.95% of machines with sudo
>installed I can walk upto it and type:

>sudo su -

>And get root shell straight away.sudo /bin/sh is always a good one as well. I
>think the education needs to start at the basic level first,because I've yet to
>see anybody setup sudo correctly the first time around.

With respect, what you observe may well be "correctly" for some of the
installations in question.  "What is correct" is a highly context-
sensitive matter, and trying to apply the criteria for one set of
circumstances to an installation that is in a different set of
circumstances is not always useful.

This is not to say that folks do not make mistakes; we're all human.
But in practice, there are trade-offs made in implementing security.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823