Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:42:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mahendra <mahen@sapura.com.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some help needed to setup FreeBSD mail system in a sub domain

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Mahendra wrote:

> i have successfully setup the FreeBSD server, we have a sub domain ip
> and name ready.

OK.

> now here are my question hope someone can help me :
>
> 1 - since i am setting up a mail server in a sub domain do i need to use
> the DNS service on the server.

As long as someone is primary for the subdomain, it's not required that
you run DNS.  If you intend on managing names for the subdomain too, you
might look into it.  Also, running local named will allow you to run it in
caching mode, which can save time on multiple DNS lookups.

> 2 - what are the nescessary configuration for the smtp to send mail to
> the main server to be sent out to the outside world.

The default config is pretty smart, as long as you don't have any tricky
firewalls.  I'd suggest adding in the changes in /etc/mail/ to keep
spammers from using your server as a relay point.

> 3 - i got imap-uw and would like to install it how do i compile it and
> configure it. how do you add and modify user setting in this software.

imap uses the standard user mailboxes.

> 4 - can i do any of this via X Windows. i am having some problems, how
> do i install X Windows and execute it.

X will give you a terminal to set it up on :)  The best way to install X
is at install time, and you can probably reinstall it if you run
/stand/sysinstall.