Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:52:57 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium D 940 dual core. i386 or amd64 ?

On Thursday 02 August 2007 13:03:10 Mario Lobo wrote:
> Hi guys;
>
> I just bought one and I was wondering if it works HTT/SMP on my FreeBSD
> 6.2-STABLE desktop.
>
> Would anyone recommend changing my currently installed i386 (days of
> waiting for xorg 7.2 and ports update) arch to amd64?
>
> if so, is it possible to make this change of arch on the machine itself or
> will I have to reinstall?
>
> Thanks in advance,

it should work just fine, and more than likely it will set up the SMP for you
during install.  as far as the k386 or amd64 debate, a friend of mine has an
amd64 compatible AMD processor, but is running it with i386 install of
freebsd.  the computer is still screamingly fast.  if you have 4GB of ram or
more, i believe the amd64 option might look a bit more attractive.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org