Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:34:54 -0800
From:      "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to properly handle stale dependencies with pkgdb -F?

Hello,

I've run into problems (most often with p5-* ports) with stale
dependencies.  I don't know how to solve them other than deleting
them, which I know is the wrong way to do it.

Currently, I have 2 things I'm not sure how to handle:

    % sudo pkgdb -F
    --->  Checking the package registry database
    Stale origin: 'net/isc-dhcp3': perhaps moved or obsoleted.
    -> The port 'net/isc-dhcp3' was removed on 2004-01-18 because:
            "Split in four partial slave ports"
    -> Hint: isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r12 is not required by any other
    package
    -> Hint: checking for overwritten files...
     -> No files installed by isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r12 have been
    overwritten by other packages.
    Deinstall isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r12 ? [no] <enter>

OK, so net/isc-dhcp3 went away in favor of -server, -client, etc...
How do I proceed though?  Do I just answer no to that question and
ignore it whenever it comes up until the end of time?  Should I
deinstall my net/isc-dhcp3 port and reinstall it with the "new way"?
(the new port layout)

    Stale dependency: pear-DB-1.6.1,1 -> pear-PEAR-1.2.1_1
    (devel/pear-PEAR):
    pear-Net_Socket-1.0.1_2 (score:27%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]
    New dependency? (? to help): devel/pear-P<tab>

I'm not sure why pear-DB can't find its pear-PEAR dependency in the
first place...devel/pear-PEAR still exists in my ports tree.  Then I try
to name devel/pear-PEAR explicitly (with or without the devel/ prefix,
doesn't matter) but that's not found either.  Perhaps this is a problem
caused by my overzealous deleting of dependencies previously?

I'm willing to scrape everything and reinstall, since my ports system is
probably very screwed up by now, but I want to learn what the RIGHT way
to do things is first so I don't find myself in the same situation 6
months down the road...

Thanks for your help,
-Paul