Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:17:03 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

* Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG> [000409 18:30] wrote:
> Well, it seems that -CURRENT likes locking up nowdays.  It started happening
> very recently, and I (as well as jlemon) do suspect that it's a problem
> with some of the changes that were made to the syscall mechanisms on
> 3/28/2000.
>
> Keep in mind that this problem is completely corroborated by a friend
> whose machine behaved exactly the same starting at the same time.  I
> hadn't noticed it until now because it seems to occur under rare
> circumstances, which are untknown till now.  The circumstances sre
> trivial things like compiling things and playing mp3's, normally
> quite mediocre stuff.
>
> The syptoms are that the machine locks up.  Hard.  But there's a catch:
> it _can_ be pinged.  In fact, TCP connections can be made.  In my
> case, SSH connected, but the remote end never sent/received any data
> (or, that is, showed signs).  In my friend's case, telnet connected,
> but yet no data was received or acknowledged.  According to jlemon,
> whose diagnosis makes sense, the problem is that for whatever reason
> the kernel is not returning to user mode.  That explains why sshd
> doesn't work, telnetd doesn't work, XFree86 and apps don't respond.
> The question is, why?

This can happen when the kernel is stuck in an infinite loop
somewhere, you're still responding to interrupts, just stuck
somewhere.

FYI:
~ % uname -a
FreeBSD thumper 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Sun Apr  2 16:29:20 PDT 2000     bright@thumper:/home/src/sys/compile/thumper  i386
~ % uptime
10:58PM  up 7 days,  4:06, 21 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

I've been building world, playing mp3s, using fxtv and xmradio.

My setup is fine, perhaps you can furnish us with a traceback?  These
kinds of lockups are very easy to fix with a traceback because they
just mean that most likely the kernel is stuck in an infinite loop
somewhere.

In otherwords, unplug your palm pilot and attach a console.

thanks,