Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:51:10 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, rschof@mccomm.nl
Subject:   Re: After changing to an AHA2940 I can't boot the kernel.

>>I can take the cable that has either the new seagate + CDrom and 4mm, or
>>both old disks + CDrom and 4mm, and plug it in to the 174x system and
>>everything works just fine.  For this reason I'm inclined to think it's
>>not a cable or termination problem.
>>What are the odds I have a bad 2940 from the manufacturer?

>I'm sure their quality control is quite good.  But, it's not totally
>impossible.

I should add that I'd get the other two devices off the SCSI bus,
first, before I'd suspect the card.  It's more likely that one of the
remaining devices is giving you problems.

It's possible that one of your devices doesn't terminate "well", or is
picky in some other fashion.  For example, I have a machine with an
internal SCSI hard drive, an external SCSI hard drive, and two SCSI
CD-ROM drives in it.  When I had it hooked up so the internal hard
drive terminated that end of the chain, I got lots of weird SCSI
hangs.  It turned out that one of the CD-ROM drives just wasn't happy
unless it was allowed to terminate the chain.  Turning the termination
off on the hard drive, and on for that CD-ROM drive (and switching the
cable, of course), made everybody happy.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net