Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:20:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A few StarOffice related questions

Hi...

	Originally having overlooked the thread in multimedia concerning
StarOffice, I went back into the archives and re-read all of the messages,
and haven't seemed to come across answers for any of these, so I shall
ask here.

====[ online help ]====

	svdaemon needs to be started to get online help...has anyone succeeded
in getting this to work?  If I type 'svdaemon', it just sort of  hangs there,
where I would have expected it to auto-background itself.  Not so big a
problem, except that if I go to help/contents, I get nothing.  If I do a 'ps x'
after doing this, I see:

10557  v0  S      0:00.06 /usr/local/StarOffice-3.1/linux-x86/bin/svdaemon

	Oops, swriter3 starts up its own svdaemon when you try to do
help/contents...the readme file seems to imply that I had to do it manually :(

	Restart swriter3, don't start svdaemon, go to help/contents...it starts
up svdaemon, but still no help.

====[ inter-application communication ]====

	Again, doesn't auto-background, but since I'm not really certain on how
to make use of that one, can't test it.

	Also, after a period of time, I get:

Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
unable to register (SVPORTMAP, SVPORTMAPVERSION, udp).

====[ swriter3: loading files ]====

	The reason I wanted at online help was to hopefully find an answer
to this problem.

	I have a text based file that I want to load up into StarOffice
and play around with formatting and whatnot.  If I go to open and try to
load the file, I get an error of:

	Non-existent object
	Non-existent file

	So I can't seem to load the file.

	If I rename the file as <filename>.txt, I get as far as it asking
me for the 'filter' to use, which I choose 'Text Unix', and then after I
click 'Ok', it then proceeds to give me the same error again, but actually
loads the file this time...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org