Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:17:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

> > Hmmm.  If we're going to talk SCSI perf, let's get seriously SCSI here
> > then: Quantum XP39100W drive on 2940UW controller:
(...)
> > 104857600 bytes transferred in 10.974902 secs (9554309 bytes/sec)
>
> Aren't you disappointed ? You're only a mere 2 MB/s faster with a Wide
> connection... I'd expect it more in the 14 MB/s range, no ?

Well designed fast buses (with well designed fast peripherals) give
good bus utilization as the devices burst full speed on the bus.
Put two of these disks on that bus and compare how the performance
degrades versus two on the wide connection.  The chances are that
when you're buying this kind of disk you'll be buying another soon.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval