Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 06:45:21 -0700
From:      "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Switching from Win95 (yuck) to FreeBSD (mmmm)

Ok, I have outgrown Windows 95 in many ways now and I need FreeBSD. I have
2 hard drives with 3 partitions:
1. C (1.6g)
2. D and E (4g total)

Windows is on C.
I read the installation procedure and I think i can do this:

Shut Down to MS-DOS mode in Win95
Start the installation as described on freebsd.org

BUT: Does FreeBSD really read my DOS partitions so I don't have to have to
reformat ANYTHING? even my D/E drive?
And if it can, does it handicap FreeBSD in any way? Does it have native
support for the DOS partitions or will I be slowed down?
back to the installation:

When i get FreeBSD running or even before i start installing it, i could
rename or remove my Win95 directory thus being able to configure FreeBSD to
boot on my system...

Later I'd like to stick Windows on the D/E drive or something so itd only
boot when I want it to. And if FreeBSD DOESNT reformat anything and keeps
the partition windows should still be able to access my C drive and FreeBSD
my D/E drives, right?

Thanks,

Bart "The Good Guy" Trzynadlowski
"Screwy ain't it?"