Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:30:09 +0100
From:      Christian Damm <christian.damm@diewebmaster.at>
To:        Suporte Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server

Suporte Matik schrieb:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 06:52, Christian Damm wrote:
>
>>Suporte Matik schrieb:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>you are running amavis + clamd + dspam on a normal PC for 30000 users?
>>
>>yes - without real load...it all depends on tuning the box/environment.
>

> probably your dspam indeed is real idle doing nothing on this server since you
> do not have any users to whom to deliver. Dspam processes a msg before local
> delivering, pretty useless on a relay server, no user here and that may be

i _have_ to deliver to the nexthop MTA - _not_ to mboxes/maildirs (as i
said.) so the point is that dspam _has_ to classify the mail - besides
of ram/disk i/o no difference to a "real" (non-gateway) email toaster
where i write to mboxes/maildirs. from the point of cpu overhead its
exactly the same - dspam classifies mail and needs cpu power, if this
loads the box like hell you have limit your dspam execs, that aint good
if your backqueue is getting real big but its way better than swapping
(modern MTA`s are pretty good when it comes to queue management). fact
is: you have to limit the dspam execs on that machine, otherwise you
will kill every 4 x xeon/32gb ram/raid-10 box rather quickly.

i dont use dspam alone and that makes the difference (my postfix
backqueue is empty 99% of the time!).

> the reason your box do not swap to death

use additional anti-spam/av protection, throw hardware on it.

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm@diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria
phone: +43-732-381242, fax: +43-732-381242-22, isdn (leonardo):
+43-732-381242-33
homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office@diewebmaster.at