Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:53:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        i-flopit@microsoft.com (Florent Pitoun)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is freeBSD?

As Florent Pitoun wrote:

> - Is it a linux-like OS?

No, it's a unix-like OS.  Linux is also a unix-like OS, however. :-)

> - Does it provide a graphical interface like X-windows?

As an add-on package, and it's exactly the same as Linux has (XFree86).

> - What kind of configuration does it need to run well?

This depends on what you wanna do with it.  I'm running it on my
386sx/16 notebook within only 5 MB of RAM, though the previous 120 MB
disk was a bit small for my needs, and has been replaced by a 250 MB
one.  This is obviously not a racing car, and starting X11 on it takes
some 5 minutes. ;-)

But i'm also running it at work on an i586/100, 32 MB RAM, 2.8 GB
disks, DAT tape, CD recorder, 1280x1024 16-bit depth X11 display, etc.
I can record a CD-R while running full multiuser (and this is real
*multi*, i.e. my colleagues do also use the machine for several
services).

Walnut Creek CDROM is operating the world's heaviest-loaded Internet
server (wcarchive.cdrom.com) with FreeBSD, too.  They have 256 MB RAM,
an i686 CPU, dozens of Gigabytes disk, and allow for 600 simultaneous
FTP users plus WWW users...

I think you got the picture?

> - How much does it cost?

Your Internet costs to suck several hundred Megabytes across your IP
connection, or alternatively US$ 49 for the CDROM from Walnut Creek
(info@cdrom.com).  Perhaps you could even get the CD cheaper at a
local vendor.  Take care to get the most recent version (2.1 by now).

--
cheers, J"org